Douglas sees that the health care system is in crisis. He feels strongly that health care workers can and must contribute to remodelling healthcare delivery so that it is readily accessible to everyone, by being cheaper, safer and a better experience for everyone involved.
Douglas has been a doctor, hospital advisor and staff educator for over 25 years, during which time he has worked as a general practitioner/ family physician in civilian and military systems in Australia, performed roadside and hospital retrieval work in South Australia (SA), and performed over 15,000 anaesthetics in Adelaide, SA.
Through this work, he is exposed daily to gaps in healthcare delivery siloes that contribute to increased risk, cost, and an impaired experience for both patients and healthcare workers.
After pro-bono work with the Australian Medical Association (AMA) and the Australian Society of Anaesthetists (ASA), Douglas undertook a Graduate Diploma of Management and the Company Directors’ Course to better bridge the language between the siloes of politics/business and healthcare. He could see value being left on the table on both sides, contributing to the estimated 20% waste in healthcare delivery today – $AUD 30 billion in 2018 alone!
Then it became personal, through the disjointed and confronting journey of becoming a cancer patient. The impressive abdominal scar is a daily reminder to turn the above good intentions into actions. The consulting company, book and speaking engagements are just the start.
Make time to talk here
• Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor, University of South Australia
• Clinical Lecturer at Flinders University
• Founder of Douglas Fahlbusch Healthcare Consulting
• Member Australia Medical Association (AMA)
• Member Australian Society Anaesthetists (ASA)
• Member Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA)
• Associate Fellow Australasian College of Health Service Management (AFACHSM)
• Graduate Australian Institute Company Directors (AICD)